Home Forums Highlander Decklists Control (Archived) UR Control – “Blue Moon”

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gridgm 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarven McLinton
    Sarven McLinton
    Keymaster

PRIMER: BLUE MOON

This popular Modern control deck broke into Highlander as one of the premiere control archetypes This Highlander deck originally innovated by Tom Stoddart and made infamous by Tyler Kent was the inspiration for the popular Modern control deck. The deck’s ability to trade one-for-one early game then pull ahead with card advantage spells and the pseudo-card-advantage gained by preemptively countering spells made un-castable by Back to Basics, and Blood Moon effects. Check out the overview of the deck here:

This is the Combo-Control variant of Blue Moon, created by Sarven McLinton. It is called ANNIHILATOR SIX and has won one event and Top-8ed another (the 30-player AE Highlander Challenge for March).

In addition, another variant of the decklist was discussed by Tyler Kent, and is copied below:
    I’ve long since ceased being the authority on this deck, however i’ve got a considerable amount of reps under my belt with the archetype so i thought i’d run my mouth and enjoy the sound of my own voice.

My first experience with Highlander was a loaner zoo deck that i remember losing to Jim ‘Force of’ Wilks with.

Then, high on the idea of being the one to cast Cunning Wish into Wing Shards, I attempted to clone Jim’s Jeskai Control deck and then promptly ran into Tom Stoddard, who proceeded to make all my non basic lands mountains and combine Wurmcoil Engine with Kiki-Jiki.

Seeing a pattern to my to my deck building decisions and deciding just to roll with it, I constructed the first of my many many iterations of a Blue Moon deck and rolled the swiss of the first Canberra Highlander league, Only to get stomped by Ward-smith in the top 8, (who was also on Blue Moon, so i didn’t have a reason to audible decks anymore)

As a fun side note, the deck i used in that top eight would be worth 12 points these days, Iirc, every other non-moon deck in that top 8 would only be worth 8-9 at the most.

Moving on from ancient history, if there was Highlander tomorrow, this is the list that i would probably be registering

Arid Mesa
    Back to Basics*
    Mystic Confluence
    Blood Moon
    Brainstorm
    Cascade Bluffs
    Burst Lightning
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    Counterspell
    Cryptic Command
    Dack Fayden
    Fiery Confluence
    Desolate Lighthouse
    Dig Through Time**
    Electrolyze
    Fire/Ice
    Flooded Strand
    Force of Will*
    9x Island
    Izzet Charm
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor*
    Disciple of the Ring
    Sweltering Suns
    Lightning Bolt
    Magus of the Moon
    Mana Drain*
    Mana Leak
    Mental Misstep
    Misty Rainforest
    4x Mountain
    Polluted Delta
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Remand
    Riptide Laboratory
    Scalding Tarn
    Abrade
    Snapcaster Mage*
    Spell Snare
    Madcap Experiment
    Steam Vents
    Chandra, Flamecaller
    Platinum Emperion
    Vendilion Clique
    Venser, Shaper Savant
    Volcanic Island
    Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
    Anger of the Gods
    Red Elemental Blast
    Energy Flux
    Extract
    Tormod’s Crypt
    Flusterstorm
    Forked Bolt
    Torrential Gearhulk
    Pithing Needle
    Pyroblast
    Rolling Earthquake
    Shattering Spree
    Spell Pierce
    Stunt Double
    Subterranean Tremors
    By Force

Looking at this list, it’s pretty stock with some notable exceptions,

– Madcap Experiment & Platinum Emperion
    I often joked that if Sensei’s Divining Top ever received a point i would run this combo… then it did and i immediately had to eat my words (and purchase a platinum emperion)

– MD Sweltering Suns and Fiery Confluence
    The the deck naturally don’t have a lot of ways to go one for one with resolved threats and in the Control matchup both of these cards have other modes.

– No Method of Twinning your opponent out
    That cycles in and out of the deck depending on my mood, the hard control shell has been placing better results lately (not in my hands, i haven’t won a match of highlander in like six months)

– Chandra Flamecaller

I recommend trying the card out, six mana is a very steep cost, but Chandra wipes the board if you’re behind & kills the opponent very dead very quickly.

Favourable Matchups:
    Blue Moon has a bit of game against every deck, I don’t think there’s a truly good or bad matchup floating around, though in saying that, i feel very comfortable against the following decks

White Weenie
    Elves (except when the pilot is LWS)
    Tolarian Draw 7’s
    3-4 Colour Midrange/Skullclamp Decks

Unfavourable Matchups
    Craddie Jund
    BR Necropotence
    Zoo (Moxless Zoo with the less explosive starts is a better matchup)
    Wan Chin Red
    Rowan Bates 0 pt Burn (TM)
    Whatever Lachlan Ward-smith is playing

I manage Adelaide Eternal, a group running monthly tournaments in SA for Vintage, Highlander, and Legacy. We also commentate feature matches which are uploaded to our YouTube channel every month. Visit: www.youtube.com/adelaideeternal

WirblerVirtuose
    WirblerVirtuose
    Participant

Hi there, Tyler Kent here, I attended the 2018 Championships and lost my win & in to end up in 15th place

My Match record was
    R1: Jacob Turner – BW Pox: 2-1 Win

I’d never met Jacob before and I was unfamiliar with his deck, I’d placed him on Esper Midrange and was just missing a colour until he slamming Spirit of the Labyrinth into Hypnotic Specter and he shredded my hand

The other two games went a little differently, I wiped his board with wraths & landlocked him until i drew a kill condition

R2: Alex Goldsworthy – Jeskai Control: 1-2 Loss

This was Alex’s first time playing the format, but you wouldn’t know it the way he played against me, We played three incredibly tight games until i made a critical mistake and he managed to burn me out

R3: Adam Nott – RG Blue Hate: 2-1 Win

Adam’s a Canberra local and old hand at the format, he killed me dead on turn 3 in our first game, in our second game i overcame a Mox start to finish the game on 1 life and in the third game he locked himself out with his own Blood Sun and I flashback his Lava Spike for the win.

R4: Ben Bulluss – GW Weenie: 2-1 Win

Ben and I get paired in every. single. event. It’s a given this point that if we’re hanging around the same bracket that we’re going to duel
    G1: i answer all his spells 1 for 1 and he floods out
    G2: I make some questionable plays to try and kill a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben while he has an Active Karakas and he beats me down with it
    G3: He mulls to 6, keeps, scrys. I play Gitaxian Probe on Turn 1 and he immediately says “Oh no… now you’re going to see the awful hand i kept”
    I see 6 lands & Spectral Procession and just bury him with my threats

R5: Jared Allsop – Kesspool: 2-1 Win

First time i’ve encountered Jared
    G1: He strips my hand with discard and i die quickly
    G2: I get ahead in tempo with Nimble Obstructionist & Riptide Laboratory and he appears to draw dead
    G3: I flashback his Inquisition of Kozilek with my Dire Fleet Daredevil, see a bunch of 5’s and 6’s and he’s stuck on three, I slam Jace and aggressively bottom every land I can

R6: Aidan Frisch – Kesspool: 0-2 Loss

I ask Aidan’s opinion for basically everything i do that’s Magic related, he’s not surprised by my deck and I know ahead of time that this is going to be a very difficult match to win.

G1: I play like a complete buffoon and Aidan 20 to 0’s me with Kess
    G2: I keep an okay 6, but get stuck on two lands and just die.

I played the following list

Instant (17)

Abrade
    Electrolyze
    Spell Snare
    Mental Misstep
    Lightning Bolt
    Remand
    Force of Will*
    Dig Through Time**
    Mana Leak
    Brainstorm
    Counterspell
    Mana Drain*
    Mystic Confluence
    Supreme Will
    Cryptic Command
    Fire // Ice
    Izzet Charm

Sorcery (5)
    Ponder
    Preordain
    Gitaxian Probe
    Sweltering Suns
    Fiery Confluence

Creature (8)
    Glorybringer
    Nimble Obstructionist
    Torrential Gearhulk
    Snapcaster Mage
    Vendilion Clique
    Dire Fleet Daredevil
    Magus of the Moon
    Disciple of the Ring

Enchantment (3)
    Blood Moon
    Back to Basics
    Blood Sun

Planeswalker (4)
    Dack Fayden
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    Chandra, Flamecaller
    Jace, the Mindsculptor

Land (23)
    Volcanic Island
    Flooded Strand
    Steam Vents
    Riptide Laboratory
    Misty Rainforest
    Scalding Tarn
    Cascade Bluffs
    Polluted Delta
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Spirebluff Canal
    Sulfur Falls
    9x Island
    3x Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    Relic of Progenitus
    Silent Gravestone
    Blue Elemental Blast
    Flusterstorm
    Forked Bolt
    Pyroblast
    Red Elemental Blast
    Null Rod
    Entrancing Melody
    Negate
    Energy Flux
    Anger of the Gods
    Weaver of Lightning
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Keranos, God of Storms

Card Notes:

Dire Fleet Daredevil: This card is the real deal, Snapcastering a removal spell or hand disruption from the opponent was incredible, it made threats that are usually very difficult to deal with (read: Creatures with more than 4 toughness) much less threatening and the first strike blocker made combat a headache for my opponent. My favourite play was flashing back a Smallpox to kill my opponent who was on 1 life.

Chandra, Torch of Defiance: Previous iterations of the deck have played Flametongue Kavu, these two spells have one thing in common, They enter the battlefield, kill a creature and then possibly do other things, I leaned towards Chandra as she is never accidentally going to kill herself and is a permanent that is harder to interact with than Flametongue Kavu

Blood Sun: This card was good, but not amazing, I didn’t play against any Land variants at the event which is what i was looking forward to when i sleeved up the card, however it saved me from many manlands over the course of the event.

Izzet Boilerworks: This was a last minute addition that works very well with Blood Sun, I’m unconvinced it should remain in the deck but i’m willing to test it further.

gridgm
    Keymaster

Graham King
    1st place – Adelaide Eternal Weekend

//Lands
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Flooded Strand
    10 Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Mountain
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Steam Vents
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Wandering Fumarole
    1 Wooded Foothills

//Artifacts
    1 Vedalken Shackles

//Enchantments
    1 Back to Basics
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Search for Azcanta

//Instants
    1 Abrade
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Daze
    1 Dig Through Time **
    1 Electrolyze
    1 Expansion // Explosion
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Fire // Ice
    1 Force of Will *
    1 Izzet Charm
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 Mana Drain *
    1 Mana Leak
    1 Mental Misstep
    1 Mystic Confluence
    1 Spell Snare

//Sorceries
    1 Hour of Devastation
    1 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    1 Sweltering Suns

//Planeswalkers
    1 Dack Fayden
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor *

//Creatures
    1 Dire Fleet Daredevil
    1 Jace, Vryn’s Prodigy
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Niv-Mizzet, Parun
    1 Snapcaster Mage *
    1 Thing in the Ice
    1 True-Name Nemesis *
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
    1 Anger of the Gods
    1 Batterskull
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Chaos Warp
    1 Disdainful Stroke
    1 Extract
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Magma Spray
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Submerge
    1 Subterranean Tremors

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.