Home Forums Highlander Decklists Aggro (Archived) Mono W Aggro – “Death & Taxes” [BUDGET]

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Sarven McLinton Sarven McLinton 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarven McLinton
    Sarven McLinton
    Keymaster

This thread is eagerly awaiting a willing and able aficionado of this archetype to champion the cause and write a Primer or record a deck tech. Message me (Sarven McLinton) if you are that hero!

For now, here is a typical decklist for your brewing pleasure below.

Note on Budget: some builds use Mox Pearl and Rishadan Port, and operate more like Death and Taxes in Legacy re deploying hatebears. Other versions forego the Pearl and run with a Strip, Waste, Clamp, Jitte, Stoneforge style package. The latter is the Budget option.

Luke Mulcahy
    (will contact Mulch for the Pearl D&T list and insert here)

Another option was shared by Tom Jancik and is copied here for posterity:

WHITE WEENIE
    Creatures (23)
    Mother of Runes
    Kytheon, Hero of Akros
    Student of Warfare
    Dryad Militant
    Figure of Destiny
    Soldier of the Pantheon
    Mardu Woe-Reaper
    Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    Leonin Arbiter
    Stoneforge Mystic *
    Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Glory-Bound Initiate
    Precinct Captain
    Spirit of the Labyrinth
    Selfless Spirit
    Serra Avenger
    Porcelain Legionnaire
    Mirran Crusader
    Blade Splicer
    Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    Hallowed Spiritkeeper
    Restoration Angel
    Gisela, the Broken Blade

Planeswalkers (1)
    Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Artifacts (4)
    Umezawa’s Jitte *
    Skull Clamp **
    Sword of Fire and Ice
    Smuggler’s Copter

Spells (9)
    Legion’s Landing
    Spectral Procession
    Swords to Plowshares
    Path to Exile
    Unexpectedly Absent
    Council’s Judgement
    Steelshaper’s Gift
    Mana Tithe
    Mental Misstep

Lands (23)
    Flagstones of Trokair
    Eiganjo Castle
    Shefet Dunes
    Karakas *
    17 Plains
    Mishra’s Factory
    Strip Mine **

Sideboard (15)
    Palace Jailer
    Ethersworn Canonist
    Containment Priest
    Burrenton Forge-Tender
    Linvala, Keeper of Silence
    Baneslayer Angel
    Batterskull
    Rest in Peace
    Grafdigger’s Cage
    Oblivion Ring
    Sundering Growth
    Disenchant
    Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    Armageddon
    Ravages of War

The core of this deck is playing cheap, aggressive 1-2 drops backed up by a few hard hitting 3-4 drops while leaving heavily on the strength of Stoneforge Mystic and her toys.
    Note: This deck leans on its equipment package perhaps more than any other deck.

The main deck building choices are if you want to play the vanilla 1 mana 2/1s for the full beat down plan (the above list is not doing so) and if you want to play Armageddon and Ravages of War main deck. The main body of 2-3 drops are up to personal preference for the most part and some play better in a hate bears plan, ie; Leonin Arbiter, while others capitalize on the agro plan, ie; Accorder Paladin.
    The ultimate choices are many and will come down to your expected meta and play style preference.

As this is intended as a budget deck list, I have not included the Mox Pearl the deck frequently runs over the pointed lands but I would recommend trying to get access to one if you plan on playing Geddons in the main and swapping out the Karakas and Strip Mine for Mox Pearl and another Plains, possibly also adding a Chrome Mox.

This deck is pretty firmly tier 2 in my opinion but can certainly win games against all deck types.
    I have personally top 8ed several Melb leagues with White Weenie and have taken out a GP side event with it too.
    It also continues to put up decent results in the hands of other pilots and I would certainly recommend it as a nice entry point to Highlander if you’re looking to play a creature deck but don’t want to fork out the mana base of Zoo, or even worse Bant.

I manage Adelaide Eternal, a group running monthly tournaments in SA for Vintage, Highlander, and Legacy. We also commentate feature matches which are uploaded to our YouTube channel every month. Visit: www.youtube.com/adelaideeternal

Sarven McLinton
    Sarven McLinton
    Keymaster

The Mono W archetype has seen further development in the hands of Luke McGlaughlin, culminating in a Top 8 finish at the Good Games end of year Highlander in SA. The latest decklist for 2019 onward is available in the tournament report here:

http://auseternal.space/tournament-report-and-top-8-meta-good-games-2018-end-of-year-highlander/

I manage Adelaide Eternal, a group running monthly tournaments in SA for Vintage, Highlander, and Legacy. We also commentate feature matches which are uploaded to our YouTube channel every month. Visit: www.youtube.com/adelaideeternal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.